Featured Post

Not Buying Things I Don't Need

2008 Financial Resolution #2: Stop Buying Great Deals by Chief Family Officer is an great financial resolution. It reminded me of the ...

Tuesday, August 04, 2026

Federal Tax on AI Tokens or AI Subscription Costs

Mark Cuban has proposed a tax on AI tokens of $0.50 per million tokens.  I think taxing AI is a great policy idea for the following reason:
  • AI is expected to replace human jobs that would have paid income taxes.   Purchasing AI should incur tax to replace the lost revenue from taxing humans.   I expect this would be acceptable to business since AI would replace more workers than it costs and therefore, the tax impact would still be a cost savings.
I would expand the tax to cover subscription services/costs for AI also, if these are other forms of payments other than for tokens.   In addition, an estimation of lost tax revenue from human job replacement should be made to determine the "income tax" revenue from AI usage.

If I were running for public office, I would make this a key element of my policy platform.

For more on Ideas You Can, check back every Tuesday for a new segment.

This is not financial, policy, nor tax advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2026 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: