When we moved into our neighborhood 23 years ago, we were childless and expecting to adopt. After we adopted, our daughter couldn't wait to ride the school bus. When she started kindergarten, she was one of two children at our bus stop across the street. Over time that grew to 4-5 kids.
Then the houses started turning over as more original and 2nd homeowners sold when they became empty nesters. Over time the number of kids grew. Then came are son, who was 8 years younger. He started kindergarten when our daughter started high school. Since K-4, 5-8 and 9-12 ride different busses, my son was with a new and expanding group, around 8-10 kids .
Since my kids are older, I've lost track of the K-4 bus riders. Occasionally, I see the group if I leave early for an appointment or to play golf. It appears smaller than when I went out with my son, and it is a different group of parents.
While I don't expect number of kids to drop as low as 2 when my daughter started kindergarten, I do think we are now in the ebb cycle for our neighborhood, as many kids are in middle school from existing residents new families moving in. K-4 seem lighter now, but shortly that will increase since I see numerous strollers during neighborhood walks.
We're staying in place at least until our son graduates from high school. We will probably extend or residency until he graduates from college. That's as far as we've thought out, for now.
This is not financial, home buying, nor parenting advice. Please consult a professional advisor.
Copyright © 2026 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments:
Post a Comment