Featured Post

Not Buying Things I Don't Need

2008 Financial Resolution #2: Stop Buying Great Deals by Chief Family Officer is an great financial resolution. It reminded me of the ...

Friday, August 28, 2026

Municipal Bond Funds - Managing Interest Rate Increases

In the past, I have avoided bond funds since the principal will fall when interest rate increases happen. With an individual bond, the principal can be recovered if I don't sell and hold until maturity.  This is not the case with a bond mutual fund, which is continuous and never completely matures. Thus, I will take a loss on principal invested if I sell while interest rates are higher than when I made the original investment

However, since my strategy is now creating a retirement paycheck instead delivering growth in principal, I discovered at tax benefit hack from a municipal bond fund principal declining due to interest rates rising.

Disclaimer:  I haven't had this idea financially analyzed by an "expert."  This is based on my own experience and evaluation.  I have only had experience over the past year, which has not experienced a significant decline for a long period.

Here's the how I evaluated:
  1. Judge the result mainly based on income generated for a consistent "retirement paycheck" and not on growth or decrease of principal.  I assume that the income remains constant when interest rates rise, due to reinvestment.  I assume that income declines when interest rates fall due to reinvestment
  2. I assume that the bond principal falls when interest rates rise and the principal rises with interest rates fall.
Here's the process for when interest rates are rising:
  1. Do tax loss harvesting of the position.  Avoid a wash sale by ensuring 30 days between the sale and purchase of the same security.  While most people sell first and buy back later, I chose to buy first and sell later.  This is worked well since most times, my purchase was near a short term bottom.
  2. Maintain the same amount of shares in the positions.  This ensures that the interest payment per month continues to be about the same, which is important for my retirement paycheck strategy.
  3. Use the loss on the municipal bond fund to offset realized gains in other positions, or take up the a $3000 capital loss deduction against other income.
In the 12 months I've been doing this, I reduced my capital gains income by 64% in 2025, resulting in significant tax savings, while still received the same amount of total interest and dividend income . I expect to take a $3000 capital loss in 2026 that will reduce my taxable income by that amount.

What about the principal value falling?  Does that concern me?  Not yet, since I expect to get about the same amount of "retirement paycheck" each month.   An analogy would be the value of my home.  I don't worry about the estimated value of the house going down (or up) due to price volatility, as long as I am living in the home.

Will it  concern me in the future?   Only if there is a significant collapse of the U.S. economy.  However, for typical recessions and bear markets, probably not.  We shall see when one occurs.

Of course, YMMV.

Note: The effect and strategy for interest rates falling is not discussed in the post, but will reviewed in a future post.

For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday  for a new segment.

This is not financial, investment, retirement nor tax advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2026 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: