Monday, May 07, 2007

CNBC Million Dollar Portfolio Challenge - My Wealth Builder Update


Here is the latest status for the portfolio I entered in the CNBC.com Million Dollar Portfolio Challenge. Overall, my long term picks have done surprisingly well in this short term contest.

I entered a portfolio based on the modified Unemotional Investor portfolio which I described in My Stock Picks for Q1 2007. (Disclosure: I closed out this portfolio on March 2, 2007 as described in Q1 Stock Purchases Update - Closed All Positions and I repurchased Avnet (AVT) and C. B. Richard Ellis (CBG) on April 20, 2007.) In addition, I purchased Google (GOOG) and Golden Star Resources (GSS) which are stocks I like but were not identified by the system. Here is the portfolio status as of the market close on Friday, May 4, 2007.


Status

Portfolio OpenedMarch 14, 2007
Stocks Purchased Avnet (AVT)
Coach (COH)
C. B. Richard Ellis (CBG)
Google (GOOG)
Golden Star Resources (GSS)
Cash Position

1.0%

Portfolio Value

$1,185,000 (top 5% in ranking)

Gain to Date

18.6% (10.5 % from bonus bucks)


Again, I wish I was doing this well in my actual total investment portfolio, which has returned about 5% during this time. :-) The contest provides a "test" of the real world stock picks I have made, which makes me feel pretty good about the Unemotional Investor stock picking system.

Since there are only one week left in the contest, it does not look like this portfolio will be in the top 10 finishers at the contest completion.

For more on Strategies and Plans , check back every Monday for a new segment.

Photo Credit: CNBC.com

This is not financial or investing advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2007 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: