Saturday, January 08, 2011

Defining My Schedule for Work

Prior to early retirement, I typically worked the long hours and within the times specified for the job. In 2010, I had an important revelation about my part time jobs: I can work the hours convenient for me. The epiphany came while working at two seasonal government jobs. I quickly realized that after completing the 2010 season, I had no interest in working these jobs in the future. However, since I was committed to complete the term of the job, I reduced my hours of availability to only the exact hours I wanted to work. Much to my surprise, both organizations showed flexibility and worked around my requested schedule.

The success in influencing my schedule at the government part time jobs caused me to try the same approach at the three part time jobs that I planned to work in 2011. I was pleasantly surprised again. In each case, the organization has been flexible and worked around the exact schedule I requested. Thus, I plan to teach at my daughter's school (1 hour per week for 20 weeks), tutor high school students (4-10 hours a week), and do a seasonal financial services job (average 15 hours a week for 15 weeks). Although, there might be one or two weeks where I work 40 hours, my planned schedule should keep me from being over committed to part time jobs that happened in the summer of 2010.

For now, my 2011 work schedule feels like the right balance between part time work and personal time. If I still feel I'm working too much, I will eliminate or further reduce my hours in the financial services job in 2012.

For more on Reflections and Musings, check back every Saturday for a new segment.

This is not financial, retirement or career advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: