Saturday, February 11, 2017

Time is Flying By

When I was young, it seemed like forever to reach major school milestones, e.g. junior high, high school and college.  Our daughter, who is in sixth grade, feels that college is still a long ways away. On the other hand, I can't believe that our daughter will be in college in only 6 1/2 years.   It's going by so fast.

The problem for me was that when I was young I thought had all the time in the world to get my things done in life.  So I had no sense urgency to get moving. I took life as it came.   I didn't worry about whether things would work out.  I figured that I would just take the next step when the opportunity presented itself.

Little did I realize that wouldn't work as I got older.   There needed to be a sense of urgency to make things happen.  Things needed to be actively managed.  Letting events unfold wasn't good enough.  Luckily, I figured that out about a third into my career, early enough to make a material difference.

I figure I got about 20 (30 if I'm lucky) good years remaining,   However, I know the next 10 years will be the best ones.  So it would be good to start packing in all that I want to do, instead of waiting for life to happen.

For more on Reflection and Musings, check back Saturdays for a new segment.

This is not financial or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2017 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: