Monday, September 19, 2011

2012 - Taking the Summer Off

After a couple years of losing my summer vacation, I've decided to keep June, July and August of 2012 open and free from work commitments.   In the summers of 2008 and 2009, I was relatively free from any work commitments.   In the summer of 2010, I over committed to working four part time jobs, including one nearly full time job.   In the summer of 2011, I worked a  temporary full time job which caused me to pass on a summer vacation due to work demands.

In both years, the money was good which is why I accepted the positions.  In 2010, I earned about 50% of our annual expenses.  In 2011, I will earn about 78% of our annual expenses.  However, the money wasn't worth the trade off of time lost during the summer.

So in 2012, I will cut back the part time work to around  5-6 hours a week during most of the year and 15 hours a week during the winter seasonal financial services part time job.  Thus, I will likely only earn about 10% of our annual expenses.   But I will get my summer back :-)
 
For more on Strategies and Plans, check back every Monday for a new segment.
This is not financial  or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: