Friday, September 09, 2011

Still Looking for my Inner Voice

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice, heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary… ” ~ from Steve Jobs 2005 commencement speech at Stanford

Turning Tragedy Into Triumph by Kitt Walsh of CNN Money shares the story of seven people directly affected by the 9/11 and how it changed their careers.  Some left high paying jobs to pursue their dreams.  Others found a new calling through their personal healing.  All appear to be happier.

I found their stories inspirational.   Although I didn't have an  traumatic event of 9/11 magnitude in my life,  I decided to retire from a high paying job at the age of 49 in 2007.  While the economy hasn't cooperated, I still believe I made the right decision.  I've enjoyed trying different part time jobs in which my skills match or in which I have a strong interest.  I've enjoyed being around our six year old daughter as she grows up.  I enjoyed having more family time.  I enjoyed having more fun and less stress.  The only thing I haven't enjoyed is the volatility of the stock market since 2007.

I thought the temporary full time job I accepted earlier this year would be my last hurrah.   Although it had potential, it didn't sufficiently match the calling of my inner voice.  However, I think the experience has gotten me closer to some ideas that will be a better match.
For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday for a new segment.

This is not financial or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: