Featured Post

Not Buying Things I Don't Need

2008 Financial Resolution #2: Stop Buying Great Deals by Chief Family Officer is an great financial resolution. It reminded me of the ...

Friday, July 03, 2026

Senior Discounts and Other Savings Opportunities

Since being over 55, I check if companies have senior discounts.   Many do, including Half Price Books and Walgreens.  My Ford dealer gives a discount on parts used for service.  I've also used the discount with movers and flooring installation. The discount ranges from 5-10% usually.

Different payment option sometimes charge a fee or offer a discount.  In the past, I asked if paying cash or by check gave a discount.   Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.  If yes, I pay by cash.   Recently, some service retailers have started charging a 3% service fee for using a credit card, with no fee for debit cards, checks or cash.   In this case, I pay by debit card or checks.

Sometimes the additional 3% service is indicated, and sometimes it is not.  I've started asking before making payment if a service fee is charged with credit cards, to avoid an additional charge.

Disclosure:  No compensation was received for writing this post.

For more on Reaping the Rewards Reflections, check back every Friday for a new segment.

This is not financial, payment method, nor fee advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2026 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: