Featured Post

Achieving Financial Freedom - I've Retired In My Forties

"I did it." - our three year old when accomplishing something. Yesterday was my last day at the office. I've retired, in my f...

Monday, July 06, 2026

Cleaning and Staining the Wood Deck

We have a treated wood deck in the back.  We do the power wash cleaning and staining ourselves.  In the past, I power washed the entire deck first over several days, due to clearing furniture and plants from one section to another.  Then I stained over several days due to moving furniture and plants to finished sections and allowing that section to be stained.  Since the deck is built from 2X4 treated wood with 3/8 inch gaps, it's acceptable to stain a section over different days since no overlap can be seen.

This year, I decided to clean and stain a section (about 10-15%) at a time.  It was satisfying cleaning and staining in this manner since a section would be finished and looking good, instead of waiting for completion.  Also, it enabled me to go over and touch up the power washing easier, since I often need 2-3 passes to ensure no spots are missed. Finally, I am able to work in 1-3 hour segments, which allows me to schedule into a few hours gap during the day instead allotting the whole day.

I am almost finished and everything looks great so far.  Only one or two more sections to go, depending on how much time I have to do a section.

For more on Strategies and Plans, check back every Monday for a new segment.

This is not financial, deck maintenance nor do-it-yourself advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2026 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: