Featured Post

Preparing for Fixed Income Buying Opportunity

Interest rates are going up.   And going up big, it appears.  I'm using the 1980s 10 year treasury interest rates of 15.84%  as referenc...

Thursday, October 08, 2026

Sports and Pressure for Youth Athletes

One of the best the activities I did as a youth was sports.  I played football, baseball, tennis and ran track. Back then, I don't remember any pressure on me to perform.  My parents didn't attend games, until we were in the state championships in high school football.  Fans, including parents, were cordial and showed great etiquette at games.  I never felt judged, either way when we won or loss.  I was never concerned about getting a scholarship for college, or not.

Nowadays, it seems sports are flashpoints for stress.  Participation pressure, parent pressure, coach pressure, peer pressure, success pressure, social media pressure, and scholarship pressure.   It's all about dealing with stress. Sports are no longer just for fun for the child, and that's too bad. 

I didn't realize the amount of stress and pressure when I was a volunteer soccer coach. I was like my football coach, who led us to a state championship, and constantly yelled instructions to the players during the game.   If I had been a quiet, there were have been less stress, and the results would have been the same.  I wish I had been quiet.

The best youth coach I ever saw was for my son's flag football team. The coach put on the plays on armband cheat sheets.   All a player had to do was look at the play and do what players A, B, or C were show to do.   Also, he let every player be QB try it out in a game.   The only game the team lost was when the head coach was out of town for work.  Otherwise, they always won.   While fun, it didn't cause my son to want to continue.

He decided to play tennis.  He asked to join an elite program.  But he still wants to avoid stress and pressure, like know about upcoming opponents ratings and records, which I like to analyzed.  At his request, I no longer tell him about his opponents before a match.  I only talk about what he controls, especially his mental attitude and focus.  I don't make any noise during a match (not allowed to coach) other than to softly clap for a good shot.  This has significantly reduced stress and pressure for him. 

The outcome has been great.  I just want him to enjoy tennis and play it for relief of life stresses.   Of course, YMMV.

For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday  for a new segment.

This is not financial nor youth sports advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2026 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: