Thursday, January 26, 2012

Addressing What Our Daughter Doesn't Know

How do you make good decisions?  Good judgement.  How do you develop good judgement?  Experience.  How do you get experience? Bad judgement.  ~ my paraphrase of a discussion from a Salomon Brothers' new hire training session reported in Liars Poker.

Youth has many advantages:  energy, enthusiasm, quick thinking, and resiliency are among them.   I can no longer keep up with younger employees.   In fact, sometimes I find it challenging to keep up with my daughter who is a first grader.  However, youth does have one major disadvantage.  A great challenge for youth is not knowing what one doesn't know.

There were times in my youth that I didn't have a clue, but I do now. Sometimes I think if I only knew what I know now when I was younger.   However, since going back in time isn't an option, I recently shared with my seven year old daughter the by talking to mom and dad.  We certainly don't have all the answers, but we definitely can help with lots are topics, especially those which she doesn't yet know she doesn't know.

For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday  for a new segment.

This is not financial or parenting advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2012 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: