Sunday, January 08, 2012

Looking for Fifteen More Good Years

“The funny thing about facing imminent death is that it really snaps everything else into perspective.” ― James Patterson, The Angel Experiment

I've come to the realization that my remaining time is relative short.   My parents were very health and pretty active until a little after 70.  After 70, their physical capabilities noticeably declined and there was also a slight decrease in their mental capabilities, but nothing debilitating.  So I estimate that I have fifteen good years left.

Until now, I've never felt a great urgency to get my life priorities complete.  I always felt I had time and let life unfold.   Things have always seemed to work out .   Although I don't have a life list,  I am feeling more anxiety about beginning work on personal and family priorities.  I don't want to look back fifteen years from now and regret not having done something.  When I'm 70, it may be likely be too late to do something that I missed earlier.

So no more procrastination :-)  I'm going to make sure I don't regret missing doing something when I turn 70.

For more on New Beginnings, check back every Sunday for a new segment.


This is not financial or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2012 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Interesting you bring this up. I wondered if I was a bit strange because I think about this too. Even though I'm only in my late 40s, I figure I've got around 25 more years. It's weird to have less life left than what's been lived.